Friday, November 8, 2013

Lest We Forget


I am just blown away by our school and community.  This was one of the most memorable Veteran's Week and Remembrance Day's ever.  Ecole Coloniale Estates knows how to properly honour our Veterans!  Everyone did a great job today and a special thanks to Mr. Chromiac and Mr. Morin.


This week I shared the stories of both sets if my husband's grandparents who, in one form or another, both served in the military during WWII.  Joyce and Arthur Bamsey met during WWII where he was serving in the Navy.  He sent her from Edmonton, England to Edmonton, Canada as a war bride to keep her safe from the fighting.  Margaret and Lester Merriman both served in the Military and Lester was a pilot for the Royal Canadian Air Force and also an electrical engineer up in the Yukon after the war.  

Lester and Margaret Merriman
Art and Joyce Bamsey
 I had the kids write letters to veterans and a few kids were chosen to write to my husband's Granddad, Arthur Bamsey, who lives here in Beaumont.  We were fortunate enough to have him and a few other seniors join us in our Remembrance Day celebration today and I introduced the kids to him.  I am so very proud to have been able to honour our Veterans today, including Granddad.  Thank you all so much.

I am also incredibly grateful for the kids who brought in pictures and shared stories of their family members.  What a special and remarkable thing to be able to learn about together.  I hope the captions are correct.  Please email me if I made any mistakes.

Madison’s great grandfather LCol. John Henry (Harry) Quarton served in WWII and is quite decorated from the War and thereafter back in Edmonton.  

Madison's Great-Grandfather's squadron
Olivia's Great-Grandfather in the middle
Olivia's Great Grand-Father
 Finally I am beyond honoured to have had Master Corporal Shudra come to speak to our classes about his experiences as a solider and his tour of duty in Afghanistan.  The kids asked him some pretty intense questions and he answered them all remarkably well.  It really hit home.  We are so grateful for his service and to Mr. Morin for making this opportunity available to us.




I am hoping to make it out to the Beaumont Remembrance Day Ceremony on November 11th at Town Hall.  If you would like to join us please come around 10:30am.  If not take a moment at 11:00am on the 11th day of the 11th month to remember.

Lest We Forget



2 comments:

  1. What a great story to share. Thanks Amanda. My father was a very proud RCAF Bombardier/Navigator who passed away last year. This is meaningful way to acknowledge their sacrifice for our freedom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome. It is great to take the time every year to remember.

      Delete