Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Chris Hadfield's Reply

I wrote Chris Hadfield a letter yesterday (read more about it here).  I shared my admiration and just how much I appreciate how he has brought the magic and science of space into my life.  His sister AJ forwarded it on and HE REPLIED!!

I cant stop smiling and crying ... wow!!  


Dear Amanda

Many thanks for the work you have done, for your support of education, exploration and our space program, and for the very kind letter. It was blushingly delightful to read.

The influence you are having speaks to the very heart of responsible education. You have my gratitude for all the extra work you continue to put into it.

To answer your questions:

1.      My father grew up in Parry Sound, Ontario, on the Great Lakes and not too far away from your home town of Sarnia.  What was your favorite thing to do that is truly unique to that part of our country?  Where did you like to go?  Have you ever been to Parry Sound, the Bobby Orr Hall of Fame (I’m related to him!), the amazing island cruise, or Kill Bear Park?  These were all my favorite places when we would visit. – My favorites were skiing, both water and downhill, as well as canoeing and sailing, on our lovely hills, lakes and rivers.
2.      Did you get to see Niagara Falls from space?  It is truly spectacular up close and I can only imagine what it looks like from above. – yes, and I took many photos. Some can be found in my Twitter feed. Beautiful.
3.      What is one of the most memorable moments working with Jeremy Hansen?  What advice would you give an up-and-coming astronaut?  He seems like a really interesting person too. – advanced technical education, fitness, and practiced responsible decision-making. It’s the same advice I gave Jeremy when he was a student.
4.      I’ve heard you answer many questions on advice to kids and young people about following their dreams and your journey.  What would be your biggest advice specifically for educators?  Parents? – always have short and long-term goals, and use them to help make your daily decisions. But never ignore nor forget the joys and beauties that each day brings.
5.      Who is this guy on the cover of your book?  No moustache = not you! – he’s the everyman astronaut, the publisher’s choice J

Thanks again, and my very best wishes to you, your family, and your students.

Chris


2 comments:

  1. WOW! That is so cool!! I'm so happy for you, that's very exciting! And as Cmd. Hadfield says, thank you for igniting a love of science in the students :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! It was amazing!! Love it!

      Delete